2201 S. Washington St.
Amarillo, Texas 79109
Please mail Applications for Admissions to:
PO Box 447
Amarillo, Texas 79178
Amarillo College moved to this location in 1937 with the construction of the first building, Ordway Hall, at the corner of Washington Street and 22nd Street. Today’s campus comprises nearly 31 acres with 18 buildings.
On July 16, 1929, Amarillo College became the first junior college district in the state to be organized independent of a school district. The first classes were held in September 1929 at the Municipal Auditorium facing Lincoln Street and previously occupied by the Chamber of Commerce. This is the present site of the Amarillo Civic Center.
Classes began that fall with 86 students enrolled in Biology, Chemistry, English, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Social Science and Zoology. Amarillo College served more than 10,563 credit students in Fall 2004. During the 2004-2005 academic year, 27,323 continuing education students attended classes at AC's five Amarillo campuses.
Last updated by Thomas de Jesus -- May/06/14