Listed below are minimum criteria to be considered for admission into the Dental Hygiene Program.
- Have a high school diploma or a GED.
- Be 18 years old at the completion of the program. Both men and women are eligible to apply to the Dental Hygiene Program. Amarillo College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic, national origin or disability status.
- Have at least a minimum 2.5 GPA in completed college courses including general education courses and any previously completed Dental Hygiene courses. Once accepted into the Dental Hygiene Program all courses in the Dental Hygiene curriculum require a minimum numerical grade of 75 which is a "C".
- Complete the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). Legislation required students entering Texas public colleges and universities be assessed for reading, mathematics and writing skills before they enroll in any collegiate course work for credit, unless exempt.
- Complete and submit an application tot he Dental Hygiene Program AND Amarillo College. All transcripts must be on file in the registrar's office AND a copy of each transcript must be submitted with the program application.
- Complete TWO separate dental office observations. The visits must be documented using the Dental Office Observation Form(s) enclosed in the application packet.
- Provide a biographical sketch and three reference letters as outlined in the application packet.
- Provide a signed Waiver and Release of Liability form.
- Demonstrate proof of compliance with ALL Texas immunization requirements.
- Provide proof of a current CPR card for healthcare providers.
- Provide a copy of a current driver's license.
- Complete a criminal background check via Precheck.
- Admission into any of the DHYG courses require that a student be able to fully participate physically and mentally in all clinic/rotation/community service activities is such a way as to not pose a risk to the safety of a patient or him/herself. A student must be able to lift fifty pounds without assistance, hear and speak the English language and see with a visual acuity not less than that required for a Texas driver's license (20/40). The applicant must meet the Functional Requirement Standards for admission and progression in the program.
- Must abide by the patient confidentiality statement and professional policies as they relate to a student in the Dental Hygiene Program including personal appearance standards outlined in the application packet.
- Earn sufficient points to be placed on the class roster. The procedure for receiving admission points is described in the "Admission Process" section of the application.
Last updated by dkcleere -- Jun/10/14