Mortuary Science Program
The Mortuary Science Associate of Applied Science Degree Program at Amarillo College is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE) 3414 Ashland Avenue, Suite G, St. Joseph, Missouri 64506 (816) 233-3747. Web: www.abfse.org.
- Enlarge the background and knowledge of students about the funeral service profession..
- Educate students in every phase of funeral service, and to help enable them to develop the proficiency and skills necessary of the profession.
- Educate students concerning the responsibilities of the funeral service profession to the community at large.
- Emphasize high standards of ethical conduct.
- Provide a curriculum at the post secondary level of instruction.
- Encourage student and faculty research in the field of funeral service.
The Certificate of Completion for Funeral Directing is offered to meet specific state orprofessional needs. The Texas Funeral Director Certificate program does not include instruction in embalming, restorative art, microbiology, pathology, chemistry or anatomy; therefore, it is not accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education. Students graduating from the MRTS.CERT program are NOT eligible to take the National Board Examination or any State board Examination for which graduation from an ABFSE accredited program is required. Students completing this program are eligible to sit for the Texas State Board of Funeral Directing Exam only and the Texas State Law Exam. The certificate is recognized by the Texas Funeral Service Commission. Prior conviction of a felony may render the student ineligible to practice in the State of Texas.
PLEASE NOTE THE IMPORTANT PROGRAM DATES BELOW:
Mortuary Science Program Application DEADLINE for Fall 2013 is May 1, 2013
2-Day MANDATORY On-Campus Orientation for Fall 2013 semester for Newly Accepted Mortuary Science Students is Thursday and Friday, August 22nd and 23rd.
Mortuary Science Program Application DEADLINE for Spring 2014 is November 1, 2013