Sigma Phi Sigma Fraternity
Sigma Phi Sigma became a recognized chartered business fraternity during the fall semester of 1965 at Southern IllinoisUniversity. Today, there are 18 affiliated chapters. Sigma Phi Sigma is a national funeral service fraternity devoted to enhancing the education of funeral service practitioners. The Pi Chapter received formal recognition on the Amarillo College campus on March 10, 2005.
The purpose of the funeral service fraternity is to encourage and recognize scholarship and professionalism among funeral service educators, students and professionals. To achieve these purposes, the Pi Chapter shall:
- Promote professionalism by providing opportunities for the development of leadership and climates for exchange of professional concepts, ethics and ideals.
- Educate the public concerning the funeral profession and increase the public's appreciation of the profession by advocating participation in community service projects.
- Encourage fellowship between students, faculty and business entities.
- Aid students in their academic endeavors through educational opportunities, speakers or other tools with the goal of exceeding National and/or State Board Exam(s) standards.
- Provide members various tools to advance their career goals and to assist them in securing a position with a funeral service provider.