Some students may not be required to assess based on the following exemptions:
Students in any of the following categories or conditions are exempt from assessing:
- Earned within the last five years a composite score of 23 or higher on the ACT. A student can be exempt in Math OR English as long as he/she scores a 19 on either part AND has the composite score of 23.
- Earned within the last five years a composite score of 1070 or higher on the SAT. A student can be exempt in Math OR English as long as he/she scores a 500 on either part AND has the composite score of 1070.
- Earned within the last three years the following minimum scores on the TAKS (exit-level): 2200 in Math and/or 2200 in English/Language (ELA) with a Writing subscore of at least 3.
- If a student meets all three areas on the TAKS, he/she is exempt from TSI.
- If a student has the 2200 in Math but not the Language Arts requirement, then he/she is college ready in Math, but must assess in Reading and Writing.
- If a student has the 2200 in Language Arts but not the essay requirement or Math requirement, then he/she is not college ready and must assess in Math, Reading and Writing.
- If a student has the 2200 in Language Arts and the 3+ on the essay, but has not met the 2200 in Math, then he/she is college ready in Reading and Writing but must assess in Math.
- Possess an Associate or Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- A student who transfers to Amarillo College from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and who has satisfactorily completed (C or higher) college-level coursework in Math, English, and/or Reading.
- Enroll in a Level-One certificate program of 42 or fewer semester credit hours. Note: Students enrolling in a Level-One certificate program must contact the Program Advisor for required testing and remediation information.
- A student who is not seeking a degree or certificate:
- Must meet all Amarillo College admission requirements
- Must declare "Educational Goal" to be other than Associate Degree or Certificate of Completion on application for admission.
- Cannot receive Federal financial aid.
- Must meet all course and assessment prerequisites.
Each Level-One certificate program has minimum requirements for assessment which may vary between programs. Contact the program advisor to determine assessment requirements for specific certificate programs.
Last updated by mkwilson -- Aug/05/10