The process for applying for financial aid for Continuing Education classes is a little different than the process for Academic classes. Although both start with completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), an additional application called the TPEG-CE (Texas Public Education Grant for Continuing Education) must also be completed and submitted.
Award of TPEG-CE funds are not available if the student is:
- Eligible for VA Educational Benefits
- Eligible for Hazelwood Benefits
- In default on a Federal Student Loan or owe on a Title IV Federal Grant
- Has a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
- Enrolled in Academic classes within the same term
- Currently on Financial Aid suspension
- If they have already registered and paid for the class
Download the TPEG-CE Application and Instructions for Financial Aid for Continuing Education courses here.
TPEG-CE Award Criteria
Student may be awarded up to 80% of the total cost of tuition and fees of course(s) per term (Fall, Spring, and Summer). Award must be used only for tuition and fees for eligible courses of 24 contact hours or more. Tuition and fees will be rounded up to the next whole dollar figure after the 80% calculation. The student is responsible for the remaining 20% of tuition and fees, which MUST be paid at the time of registration. Student is responsible for 100% of any other expenses that are not included in tuition and fees.
Important Application Information
Financial Aid for Continuing Education students at Amarillo College is funded through the Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG-CE). TPEG-CE funding is available to eligible students with demonstrated need and who enroll in state-funded courses of 24 contact hours or more. The award does not cover any supplies or books, however some courses may include books in the fees. Award is based on availability of funds. Application does not guarantee payment of funds; the Student Financial Aid Office will determine approval.
Student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
Male students, age 18-25, must be registered with Selective Service.
If student is enrolled for credit courses, admitted under a degree-seeking program, and/or the student is eligible for Title IV funding (Pell, SEOG, etc), financial aid must be processed for the credit courses first, and the student may not be eligible for TPEG for Continuing Education classes.
The 2016-2017 FAFSA information can be used for Fall 2016, Spring 2017 and Summer 2017 enrollment periods.
How to Apply -
- Contact the Financial Aid Office at (806) 371-5395 to establish eligibility for the TPEG-CE Grant and contact the appropriate department at https://www.actx.edu/ce/directory to confirm that your course is eligible for this grant.
- A 2016-2017 FAFSA must be submitted online at www.fafsa.gov. Documents such as a copy of your 2015 tax return transcript and all W2’s (spouse information required, if married) may be requested upon receipt of the FAFSA. All documents must be signed and dated.
- The downloadable TPEG-CE Application must be faxed or emailed to the Financial Aid Office signed and approved by the appropriate department, such as the Continuing Education Healthcare Division Office. Application does not guarantee payment of funds; the Financial Aid Office will determine approval.
- Once TPEG-CE Grant eligibility is established, the Financial Aid Office will notify the student by email as to the status of their request for a TPEG-CE award.
- If TPEG-CE Grant is approved, the student may then enroll in the approved course(s) and pay their portion at time of registration. The student is responsible to take their CE Registration form along with their payment to the Assistance Center. Financial Aid will make appropriate comments in student’s record confirming student eligibility.