The faculty of Amarillo College are categorized as follows:
- A full-time faculty member is one who is appointed by the Board of Regents and who normally teaches fifteen semester hours or who performs the equivalent as determined by other assignments per semester. This category of faculty includes:
- Temporary -- Those faculty serving in a non-tenure track position. These faculty are hired for a specified period of time.
- Probationary -- Those faculty serving the probationary period prior to being granted tenure.
- Tenured -- Those faculty who have been granted tenure by the Board of Regents.
The ranks for full-time faculty are as follows: instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, and professor.
- A part-time faculty member is one who is employed on a temporary basis and teaches less than a full-load. This category of faculty includes:
- those who are appointed by the Board of Regents and teach more than a half load and receive salary and benefits on a pro-rata basis and
- b. those who are assigned by division chairman to teach on a class by class basis usually less than a half load and are paid on a separate salary scale.
Part-time Faculty Teaching Load Policy Explanation:
A part-time faculty member who teaches 12 hours in the Fall may only teach up to 9 hours the following Spring semester. A part-time faculty member who teaches 12 hours in the Spring may only teach up to 6 hours the following summer session. This procedure is important in determining whether a faculty member is paid as a part-time faculty employee or whose load must be prorated as a full-time faculty member.
Exceptions can be made by the Vice-President and Dean of Instruction or other appropriate executive committee member for those faculty teaching at least half-time but less than full-time.
- A substitute faculty member is one who is employed on an hourly basis to teach in the place of a faculty member who is absent from class.
- A visiting faculty member is any faculty whose entire salary and benefits package is funded by outside entity and meet the same faculty qualifications as other faculty in the respective program and are subject to all faculty policies. Visiting faculty are appointed by the Board of Regents.
- An adjunct faculty member is one who, in the capacity of regular employment duties at another institution or business, serves as an instructor or in an instructional support function for certain programs of study. Adjunct faculty are not paid by the college. They are required to meet the same faculty qualifications as other faculty in the respective program.
Approved: August 20, 1991
Revised: March 6, 2007