Petty Cash Policy

Revised March, 2006



The petty cash fund was established to expedite the reimbursement of small purchases, alleviating paper work and expensive processing time.

Maximum Amounts

No more than $150.00 per day.


The Department Manager must sign all requests for advances or reimbursements from the petty cash fund.

Types of Purchases Allowed

Item(s) must be necessary for the operation of the department.

The following MAY NOT be purchased through the petty cash fund:

  1. Travel advances

  2. Salaries, Wages, or Payment for Services

  3. Cashing of personal checks

  4. Payments required through mail

  5. Any item(s) if funds are not available in the department’s budget in the appropriate object code.

  6. Any item(s) that would be included on some type of contract of blanket order established with a vendor (special pricing, discount arrangements, etc.)

  7. Any purchase of technology related items (hardware) costing $100.00 or more.  No software may be purchased through petty cash.

Tax Exemption

AC is a tax exempt entity and therefore does not pay sales tax. When you make a purchase you must present a card or form with AC’s tax number. THE COLLEGE WILL NOT PAY THE SALES TAX. IF IT IS ON THE RECEIPT YOU WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED FOR THE TAX.


A copy of both the Reimbursement Form and the Advance Form are available from the Print Shop.

The forms are also available on the web under A C Forms and Policies. The names of the forms are Request for Petty Cash Advance and Request for Petty Cash Reimbursement.

Reimbursement Procedure

If the purchase has been made and the employee wants to be reimbursed, the employee should complete the “Reimbursement Form,” get the necessary approval, attach the receipt(s), and take to the Business Office for reimbursement.

Advance Procedure

If the employee wants to get an advance and take to the store, the employee should complete the “Advance Form,” get the necessary approvals, and take to the Business Office to get the money. THE EMPLOYEE SHOULD ALSO BE SURE TO GET A TAX EXEMPTION FORM. The employee will bring the change and the receipt back to the Business Office after the purchase has been made. The receipt must be returned within 48 hours or the amount will be deducted from the employee’s next paycheck. If a Student Helper receives the advance, the employee who signed as departmental approval will be responsible for the money. In the event that the receipts are not turned in, the advance will be deducted from the employee’s next paycheck.


Hours to Receive Petty Cash

All Business Office petty cash transactions must be completed between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (or 11:00 a.m. on “summer Fridays”).