Getting Your VA Education Benefits Started

TIP: All blue words are hyperlinks to the respective webpage. 

Step 1:

  • Apply to Amarillo College
  • Start with Amarillo College Advising
  • Have all college and military transcripts sent to Amarillo College-VA requires that all official transcripts from institutions attended and military transcripts to be on file.
  • Keep in mind All courses must be required for your program.
  • Developmental courses must be taken in a classroom. Online developmental are not reportable.

Step 2:

  • Apply for Federal Education (takes 6-8 weeks to process)
    This website will give details about each chapter benefit so, that you can make an informed decision that is beneficial for your situation. It is recommended that you understand all details for each chapter BEFORE submitting this application. 

   *** TOE=FOR Post 9/11 only transfer to dependents-must have 6 yrs AD and commit to 4 more yrs at the time of transfer.

Step 3:

  • When you have a schedule of classes, select Every Semester to complete the Enrollment Request Form.
    • This must be completed every semester if you want to utilize your education benefits. 

 Required Documents

 Benefits will not be submitted if all documents are not on file with the Veteran Services office by the  2nd  semester. 

Veteran Student list of required documents:

  • DD 214 MEMBER 4-If you don't have one click on DD 214 to request from the National Archives.
  • NOBE if currently on active reserve or guard status.
  • All college & military transcripts-
  • Certificate of eligibility.  VA will mail this to you or you can login to and print the information.
  • Complete Standard of Progress. You will only have to complete this form once.

Dependent Student List of required documents:

Hazlewood Act Recipients, all supporting documents must be submitted to Veteran Services at the time application has been made.

Supporting Documents:

  • Veteran's DD 214 Member 4
  • Proof of ineligibility for the Post 9/11 federal education benefit (COE)
  • Spouses and Children: All of the above plus, Proof of dependency (birth certificate, tax return, marriage license, adoption papers)
  • Register on the Hazlewood Act Database

Eligibility requirements and application can be found at :

Step 4:

  • You may also apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Explore your benefit options!

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020
 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. You can access a personalized data sheet by visiting THECB Net Price Calculator selecting Amarillo College. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site and the GI BILL Comparison Tool.




 MGIB-Chpts. 30,1606,35Post 9/11-Chpt 33VR&E-Chpt 31Hazlewood


Student responsibility

30-Active Duty


1607-R/G called to AD-has ended


Paid by VA to the institution.  If rate of pursuit is not 100% student is responsible for the remaining balance and any Out of State Tuition/Fee costs.

All tuition and fees

Paid by the VR&E directly to the institution.

150 semester hours Tuition/most Fees exempted. Must provide proof of non-eligibility of Post 9/11 benefits.


Student Responsibility

VA will pay student $1000/yr or $41.67 per credit hour.

Books and supplies

Paid by VR&E to the institution.


Monthly Stipend

Determined by the number of credit hours enrolled in and which chapter approved for.

CHPT. 30= FT=$2210




FT=$1518/month for Amarillo

Dumas $1419 and Hereford $1392

Online only-$759/month approximate

To receive BAH must be enrolled in MORE than half time for the term.



Will increase with dependents.


If eligible for Post 9/11, can receive the same BAH instead of the above rate.




Exhausts when 150 hours are completed and /or for dependent children when they turn 26.


Can transfer to chapter 33 and carry over unused time.

(36 m 10yrs from ETS to use it) 

Once elected cant transfer to another chapter.

 (36m 15 yrs from ETS to use it) Veterans discharged Jan 1, 2013 and later do not have a delimiting date.


Must have a 10% service connected disability rating.

Exemption is entered for 1 academic year. Must fill out a renewal form after first use.




Contact Us

Washington Street Campus, Enrollment Center - Suite 700
P.O. Box 447
724 W. 24th Ave
Amarillo, TX 79109

Matthew Thompson

VA Coordinator

Regular Hours

0800 AM to 1800 PM Monday-Thursday
Closed on Fridays

If you are a veteran or a concerned family member of a veteran in crisis, please call the Veterans Crisis Line @ 1-800-273-8255 and press 1.

If the veteran is in an immediate emergency situation call 911!

Please report problems with this site or content errors to Matthew Thompson .