Residency Status

Tuition Classifications

For tuition purposes, students enrolling in Amarillo College will be classified as follows based on their own residence (if independent) or parent/legal guardian's residence (if dependent):

  • In-State
    • In District – Texas residents who have lived in the Amarillo College taxing district for 6 consecutive months prior to enrollment.
    • Out of District - Texas residents who do not live within the taxing district of Amarillo College or who have lived in district for less than 6 months prior to enrollment.
  • Out of State - nonresidents of Texas and foreign students

Note: Court-appointed legal guardianship documentation is required for students basing their claim for residency on a legal guardian.

Residency Status Reclassification

Texas Education Code Sec. 54.054. A nonresident student classification is presumed to be correct as long as the residence of the individual in the state is primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution. After residing in Texas for at least 12 months, a nonresident student may be reclassified as a resident student as provided in the rules and regulations adopted by the Coordinating Board, Texas College and University System. (Domicile in Texas must be established and documentation provided.)

Any individual reclassified as a resident student is entitled to pay the tuition fee for a resident of Texas at any subsequent registration as long as he continues to maintain his legal residence in Texas.

If you are a Texas resident eligible for reclassification from out-of-district to in-district, complete the Residency Reclassification form and submit to AskAC on any campus (Washington Street, West, East, Moore County or Hereford).

If you are eligible for reclassification from out-of-state to in-state, complete the Residency Reclassification form and submit with documentation to the AskAC Counters on any campus (Washington Street, West, East, Moore County or Hereford). 

For examples of documents required to prove domicile and physical presence in Texas, refer to the College for All Texans Chart II List  or visit the website

Texas Administrative Code

To learn more about the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and Texas residency rules, visit