Welcome to the Amarillo College Physical Therapist Assistant Program!
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Amarillo College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: http://www.capteonline.org
PTA Program Changes
- Students accepted into the PTA program will start the program in the fall.
- PTHA 1301: Profession of Physical Therapy course may be taken prior to admission to the program.
- In an effort to be fair, application points will be awarded for the following courses (10 points for “A”, 7.5 points for a “B”, and 5 points for a “C”):
- BIOL 2401: Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIOL 2401: Anatomy and Physiology II
- PSYC 2314: Lifespan Developmental Psychology (If you have taken PSYC 2301: General Psychology instead of Lifespan, you will receive credit for it for this application period due to the change in program requirements)
- ENGL 1301: Freshman Comp
- 3 hours of Speech
- 3 hours of Language, Philosophy, and Culture/Creative Arts
- Observation hours will need to be completed by May 31. You may complete the online application without having all of your observation hours done. You will turn the observation logs in at application finalization sessions which will begin on May 18th.
Complaints regarding the program or program graduates should be first addressed to the PTA Program Director, Dr. Sue Grady at 806-354-6043 (email@example.com). Unresolved complaints or complaints about the Program Director should be directed to Mr. Mark Rowh, Dean of Health Sciences at 806-354-6070 (firstname.lastname@example.org). All complaints will be documented, included the projected outcome, and kept on file at the program facility. Complaints regarding Accreditation of this program should be addressed to the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. This Commission is located at 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314.
|First Semester Prior to Admission|
|ENGL 1301 - Composition I||3 hrs|
|PSYC 2314: Lifespan Growth & Development||3 hrs|
|BIOL 2401 - Anatomy and Physiology I||4 hrs|
|Language, Philosophy & Culture or Creative Arts||3 hrs|
|SPCH 1318- Interpersonal Communication||3 hrs|
|BIOL 2402: Anatomy and Physiology II||4 hrs|
|First Fall semester|
|PTHA 1405: Basic Patient Care Skills||4 hrs|
|PTHA 1321: Pathophysiology for the PTA||3 hrs|
|PTHA 1301: The Profession of Physical Therapy||3 hrs|
|First Spring Semester|
|PTHA 2409: Therapeutic Exercise||4hrs|
|PTHA 2301: Essentials of Data Collection||3 hrs|
|PTHA 1413: Functional Anatomy||4 hrs|
|PTHA 1160: Clinical I||1 hr|
|PTHA 2305: Neurology||3 hrs|
|Second Fall semester|
|PTHA 2431: Management of Neurological Disorders||4 hrs|
|PTHA 2435: Rehabilitation Techniques||4 hrs|
|PTHA 1431: Physical Agent||4 hrs|
|PTHA 1161: Clinical II||1 hrs|
|Second Spring Semester|
|PTHA 2317: Issues in Health Care -||3 hrs|
|PTHA 2567: Practicum I||5 hrs|