(Sworn & Civilian)
To be considered for the Amarillo College Police Department, an applicant must;
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid driver license.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Must hold current TECLOSE license. (Sworn)
- No pending traffic citations or court cases.
- Must not have been convicted of three (3) or more hazardous traffic violations (moving) in the last 12 months.
- Must not have had a Class B Misdemeanor conviction in the last ten (10) years.
- Must not have been convicted of a domestic violence crime of any kind.
- Must not have been convicted for a Class A Misdemeanor or a Felony offense.
Applicant Processing Steps
- Initial application – Filed on line with the Department of Human Resources.
- Preliminary Interview – You will be asked by the department’s Investigator about your driving history and any criminal record or illegal drug use. Will discuss with you any questions you may have regarding the application process.
- Personal History Statement – The Personal History Statement will be given to all applicants by the department’s Investigator. The applicant will be given a due date when the Personal History Statement has to be returned. Failure to meet the due date will result in the applicant being disqualified for employment. Information contained in the Personal History Statement and Preliminary Interview will be used to conduct a background investigation. Omitting any information on the Personal History Statement or any other documents is grounds for disqualification. Be sure to include all previous and current residences, including military residence, military history, employment information, etc.
- Background Investigation - The prospective candidate will be required to appear a second time before the department’s investigator to review the completed Personal History Statement. The investigator will contact all references, co-workers, and any other person the investigator deems necessary. Should it become necessary, the candidate will be expected to assist in getting his/her references to contact the investigator in a timely manner or to provide any information deemed necessary by the investigator.
- Applicant Interview Board – Applicants must appear before a group consisting of police and college officials, during which you will be interviewed on a variety of police and non-police topics. Applicants are encouraged to wear appropriate clothing for the interview.
- Psychological/Medical Examination- All applicants for sworn position with more than 180 day break in service will be required to take both.
- Valid United States Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- Personnel History Statement
- Marriage License (if applicable)
- Divorce Decree (if applicable)
- DD-214 (if applicable)
- High School Diploma/GED/Degree
- College Transcripts( if applicable)
- Court Dispositions