I think I may have a hold on my license due to unpaid fines, can I still get a CDL?
No. All fines, holds and suspensions on your driver license must be cleared through the Department of Public Safety.     
Check Driving Eligibility here: Texas Department of Public Safety

Is financial aid available?
If you are a veteran you can use the GI Bill or Texas Hazelwood Act. Call Kelly Murphy at 806-371-5026.

If you are unemployed or under-employed, contact Workforce Solutions (Texas Unemployment Office). 806-345-1340

Amarillo College Financial Aid Office and Workforce Solutions 806-345-1340. 

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Student Loans:

How long is the class?
The day class is 8 weeks, 7:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday.
The night class is 16 weeks, 5:30 pm to 10:00 pm Monday through Thursday.
Total class hours: 336

What supplies or books will I need for the class?
You will need to budget about $329.00 to cover these required items:

  • Books: $74.00
  • Uniform shirts: $81.00
  • DOT Medical card and drug screen (estimate): $100.00
  • DPS license fees (estimate): $86.00
  • Ear buds: $4.00
  • Highlighter
  • 1-inch 3-ring binder or small folder (to keep papers)

Each student must have a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam and drug screen. Each student must also apply for Class A Learner Permit (CLP) at the Texas Department of Public Safety office (the office where a person gets drivers licenses). You will need these four things on the first day of class: Texas Driver's license, DOT physical, drug screen and CDL permit application receipt. Failure to obtain these will result in a student being dropped from the class.

Are any of the classes taught in Spanish?
No. All classes are taught in English. 

What is the difference between Academic and Continuing Education?

There is no difference in the class at all except for the cost of tuition, students are mixed together. Academic students earn 16 hours of college credit Continuing Education is non-credit. There may be different types of financial aid available for credit vs non-credit.

If a student is interested in an Associate Degree and Diesel Mechanics there is a 2-year curriculum called Diesel Transportation Technician.

How can I get more information?
We are here 7:00 to 5:00 Monday through Thursday and 8:00 to Noon Friday. Give us a call at 806-335-4370. Email

How do I sign up for classes?
Registration is available at Amarillo College Washington Street Campus, Amarillo College East Campus, Amarillo College Dumas and Amarillo College Hereford. 

I heard that you offer CDL training for deaf students, how does that work?
Yes, we have excellent success training deaf drivers. To begin, the student must first obtain a waiver from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration - Hearing Exemption. This can take 4-6 months, call or email us for more details. We have a packet of materials to get you on the road to success.