Reverse Transfer

You've worked hard at Amarillo College and beyond so be sure to claim all the credentials you have earned!

Students who transfer to a university prior to completing their associate degree requirements can still graduate from Amarillo College and celebrate the occasion with friends and family because university credits can be "reverse transferred" to satisfy requirements for an associate degree at Amarillo College.


By signing up for reverse transfer a student has nothing to lose and possibly much to gain.

That's because EAB, an educational research firm, cites that the average reverse transfer student earns a higher salary and is more motivated to complete a bachelor's degree. In addition, some university scholarship opportunities or selective program admissions actually favor students who have an associate degree.


There are two ways a student can reverse transfer.

  1. Send or Bring Amarillo College Your Transcript: If you believe you have completed your degree requirements, ask your institution to send the Registrar's Office your official college transcript(s) or bring your official college transcript(s) to the AC Registrar's Office. Walk-ins are allowed, but to ensure immediate service call 806-371-5036 to set up a scheduled appointment with one of our transfer credit evaluation staff.
  2. Grant Consent to Send Reverse Transfer Documents: You may have already granted consent to have your transcripts sent to AC via reverse transfer through the Apply Texas Admission Application or another type of release form. In these instances, the university should automatically send your transcripts to Amarillo College for evaluation. If you are unsure if you granted permission for transcripts to be sent via reverse transfer, please contact the Registrar's Office at your university and let them know you wish to reverse transfer.  

Students are encouraged to contact the AC Registrar's Office to check on our receipt of required documents to consider the student for reverse transfer.


Students who meet Amarillo College's catalog "General Degree Requirements" and/or the additional hours required for "Multiple Associate Degrees" will be eligible to earn a degree. Students who wish to see if they can change their degree to General Studies in order to expedite the graduation process, should contact the AC Registrar's Office, ask to speak with a transfer evaluator, and request to change their major to General Studies for the purposes of reverse transfer.


Students who graduate via reverse transfer are eligible to attend AC commencement and receive a diploma for the applicable graduation term.

  • *Commencement: Students who will reverse transfer or have recently (within the past few months) reverse transferred and would like to participate in the next commencement ceremony should contact our office at or at 806-371-5036. Note: Students should contact us by October for fall ceremonies or by March for spring ceremonies. Contacting us ensures the appropriate names are published in the commencement brochure.
  • *Diploma: Once Amarillo College receives all required transcripts and has graduated a student, the student can pick up the corresponding diploma from the Washington Street AskAC Counter or the  Registrar's Office. Students who do not live in Amarillo and are unable to pick up their diploma, can also request to have the diploma mailed. Note: If students have not received communication that they have been graduated, they are encouraged to first contact us (806-371-5036) in order to ensure we've received all needed transcripts and that the student is now a graduate.

Contact Us

Washington Street Campus, Enrollment Center
P.O. Box 447
724 W. 24th Ave
Amarillo, TX 79109
Fax: (806) 371-5066


Monday - Thursday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Friday: 9:00am to 12:00pm
Saturday: Closed

Please check the Master Calendar for school holidays and closures.