Withdraw Limitation Policy SB 1231

The Texas Education Code stipulates that students attending Texas institutions of higher education for the first time fall 2007 and later may not withdraw from more than six courses during their academic career, including courses from which transfer students have withdrawn at other Texas institutions of higher education. (Senate Bill 1231) Rule §4.10.  (See Note below)

It is the responsibility of the student to officially drop or withdraw from a course. Failure to withdraw may result in a grade of “F” for the course. A grade of “W” will be given for student-initiated withdrawals that are submitted on or before the withdrawal deadline. (Please refer to your AC Connect account for “My Important Course Section Dates” to obtain withdrawal deadlines.)

Students may drop a course via AC Connect before a course has begun. After a course has started, but before the course's census date, the student's instructor, academic adviser, Advising Center Staff, or Registrar's Office personnel can process a student-initiated request to drop a course. After the census date, students who wish to withdrawal from a class, must have permission from their instructor to drop that course. Students must either email or meet with their instructor to begin the withdrawal process. The instructor will then submit a withdrawal case for the student in the Retention Alert system in ACConnect. Students will be notified by the Registrar's Office once the withdrawal request has been completed.


There are certain exceptions to this policy, and petitions for exceptions should be directed to the Registrar. Exception to Withdrawal Policy Form(SB 1231)

NOTE: For the purpose of this ruling:

Students who enroll as entering freshmen students or First-time-in-college (FTIC) students in undergraduate courses during Fall 2007 semester or any subsequent semester are subject to course drop limitations.


  • High school students who enroll through dual credit or high school concurrent programs are not affected by the 6 drop limit until they graduate from high school and enroll in higher education.
  • Students who have completed a baccalaureate degree at a recognized public or private institution are not affected.
  • Students who completely withdraw (withdraw from 100% of the classes in which they are enrolled that semester) after census date automatically receive a grade of WE.
  • Students who withdraw from developmental classes automatically receive a grade of WE.

Withdrawal exceptions can only be granted when a student withdrew from a course. A grade of "F" cannot be replaced by a WE.


To petition for additional exceptions, please submit the Exception to Withdrawal Policy Form (SB 1231) to the Office of the Registrar.