Amarillo College's No Excuses Philosophy
Amarillo College's No Excuses philosophy focuses on student support and success.
What is the purpose of No Excuses?
1) Focus on Student Success Performance Measures:
- a) Persistence from term-to-term and year-to-year
- b) Successful completion of developmental education
- c) Successful completion of a course with a grade of "C" or better
- d) Successful completion of gateway courses (e.g. English Composition and College Algebra)
- e) Successful completion of a degree, certificate, or transfer
2) Focus on AC's Primary (Institution-Wide) Academic Intervention Strategies:
- a) Poverty
- b) Tutoring
- c) Course redesign
- d) Developmental education
- e) First-year seminar
3) Focus on Additional Student Support Services: Addressing and removing any potential barriers or roadblocks to students
Focusing on the above items (directly or indirectly) ensures that students are given the greatest opportunity for success.