Vocational Nursing offers a uniquely rewarding career as a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) that is highly valued and respected. The Vocational Nursing Program is a one-year Certificate of Completion program. Students completing the VN curriculum are prepared to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) for licensure as a Vocational Nurse. Graduates function as beginning practitioners in many different health care agencies including hospitals, clinics, physician offices, public schools, and nursing homes.
Amarillo College (AC) is a public community college. Amarillo College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees and certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decator, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Amarillo College.
The VN Program at AC is approved by the Texas Board of Nursing (BON). The address and telephone number for the Texas BON is 333 Guadalupe #3-460, Austin, TX 78701 and 512-305-6838.
The LVN Graduate will be prepared to function as a:
Member of the Profession
* Function as a beginning practitioner within a legal scope of practice to provide quality care for patient and their families.
* Practice Vocational Nursing in an ethical and legal framework.
Provider of Patient Centered Care
* Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team and assume responsibility and accountability for the quality of care provided to patients and their families.
* Utilize the Nursing Process to collaborate with team members to carry out the patient’s plan of care.
* Provide nursing care to ethically, socially, and culturally diverse patients and their families using clinical reasoning skills and established evidenced- base practice.
* Uses problem solving approach to carry out the patient’s plan of care, and to meet their healthcare goals.
Patient Safety Advocate
* Apply current technology and informatics while maintaining confidentiality and safety in a cost containing manner.
* Implement and maintain safe standard of practice.
* Practice in a confidential manner at all times.
Member of the Healthcare Team
* Appropriately assign nursing care to LVN’s or other unlicensed personnel.
* Demonstrate caring relationships while advocating on behalf of patients and their families.
* Demonstrate responsibility for continued competency in nursing practice through lifelong learning.
When considering Vocational Nursing as a major, please be aware of the following information:
Nursing classes are taken in sequence according to the LVN Degree Plan. If you are interested in applying to the program, click here: Admission Process, or contact the Vocational Nursing Staff at 806.354.6015 or ACnursing@actx.edu.
Amarillo College Vocational Nursing
P. O. Box 447
Amarillo, TX 79178