IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students and parents may transfer the data directly into their FAFSA.
********update as of March 1st*********
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool will continue to be down for "several weeks," according to officials.
The Department of Education (ED) is working with the IRS to resolve the situation.
ED does not yet have an estimated time frame for when it will be back up.
If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we highly recommend using the tool for several reasons:
- It’s the easiest way to provide your tax data.
- It’s the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
- You won’t need to provide a copy of your or your parents’ tax transcripts.
Even if the FAFSA was previously filed, you can link your tax information at any time. If you have not already used the tool, go to www.fafsa.gov, log in to your FAFSA record, select “Make FAFSA Corrections,” and navigate to the Financial Information section of the form. From there, follow the instructions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer IRS income tax information into your FAFSA.
The Financial Aid Office cannot accept copies of tax returns for verification purposes, only tax return transcript from the IRS.
You may request a free tax return transcript 2 ways:
- Telephone Request: call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts.
- Online Request: visit the IRS website. Under Tools, click "Get Transcript of Your Tax Records".